Thursday, December 1, 2016

Good Smelling Soap



Daily Gratitude Year Four-Day 335: Today, I am grateful for good smelling soap. 


They say we Americans are freakish obsessed with bathing. There was a time in this country that bathing was a luxury saved for the night before church. This makes me extremely grateful I arrived on the planet after indoor plumbing and indoor bathrooms. I love being clean and the smell of soaps. 

It is not unusual for us to have more than one soap on the counter. I have a scent sensitive nose. I want my house to smell good... and my hands. Randy... on occasion... would tell me that "Bath and Body called and would like a little of their stock back." He might have been suggesting we had an abundance. 


My favorite shower soap is Philosophy Amazing Grace. I love the name and starting the day with the idea of grace. It smells so good and fresh... and clean. 

December has begun and the scents of the season fill the air. Time to pull out some Christmas soap. Soap helps prevent illness.  For my birthday, my sweet friend DeAnn showered me with some amazing smelling soaps that make my skin feel wonderful... and they delight my sense of scent.  

December brings us to thoughts of the arrival of Jesus. He came to save us from our sins. He came to wash us clean and set us free from the burden of guilt and shame. We can't ever be "good enough". No soap can make us "clean enough".  He came to pay the price. To reconcile us. To be with us. 

But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, -Titus 3:4-6

He came to mercifully make us clean by "the washing of regeneration and the renewal of the Holy Spirit... poured out richly through Jesus." This is a blessed and holy season of remembrance. 

Jesus... good smelling soap... and other scents of the season make me smile.
Today, I am grateful for good smelling soap.



No comments:

Post a Comment