Thursday, June 15, 2023

Poetry

Daily Gratitude-Year Eleven: Day 163- Today, I  am grateful for poetry.

“This is my wish for you: Comfort on difficult days, smiles when sadness intrudes, rainbows to follow the clouds, laughter to kiss your lips, sunsets to warm your heart, hugs when spirits sag, beauty for your eyes to see, friendships to brighten your being, faith so that you can believe, confidence for when you doubt, courage to know yourself, patience to accept the truth, Love to complete your life.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

What a beautiful piece of poetry. Timeless isn't it. These things do not change with the times, the years, or the centuries. The Bible is full of poetic passages, the Song of Solomon (Song of Songs) in particular. This particular passage reads like a modern love song:

"Kiss me and kiss me again, for your love is sweeter than wine." -Song of Solomon 1:2 

June is a month of weddings and anniversaries. Poetic words are often a part of wedding traditions. Leap Year is one of my favorite movies. The wedding toast is the best:

"“May you never steal, lie, or cheat, but if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows, and if you must lie, lie with me all the nights of my life, and if you must cheat, then please cheat death because I couldn't live a day without you.”

The Love of my Life knows my passion for poetry. I have two poem books that he has gifted me with over the years. Both are precious. One is priceless, because it was a gift to replace a lost poetry book I loaned out in college that was never returned. It is called, "One Thousand Beautiful Things." Grandma Marge gave it to me from her bookshelf and it contained poetry, short stories, and quotes. It is probably where my love for both poetry and a good quote began. Randy replaced it on a special occasion

When walking through ordinary days my friends, don't forget to look for the poetry all around us from song lyrics to jingles that get stuck in our heads. 

Today, I  am grateful for poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment