Thursday, August 24, 2023

Garlic

 Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 236- Today, I am grateful for garlic. 

I missed it! I did a search and never have I offered gratitude for "garlic."

I like garlic. Most in my family love it. For me, it can be too much if the taste remains with me until I can get to my toothbrush. It is another overlooked gift from the garden. 

I picked up some garlic at a market last weekend. Varieties I have never tried. I forget that there are so many varieties of most herbs and spices beyond what we get at the local market.

Alden Mill House in Michigan makes custom spice mixes. You can find their spices all around Traverse City, and they have a storefront in Alden. They have two that I love that include garlic. "Garlic Lover's Delight" and "Miracle Mix" are perfect blends. Please look them up. They are a fabulous small business and their blends are oh so good! ("Char Broil It" is my other favorite. It adds the flavor of charcoal without sweet talking a husband into firing up the charcoal grill.) Back to garlic...  

I must be missing Traverse City. They have a spice store in downtown Traverse City called "Spice and Tea Merchants"  that has some unique spices, including some Indian/Asian blends. Plenty of garlic on the shelf, but I am loyal to Aldens Mill House for my garlic. 

Garlic has many health benefits which is why I am shocked I have neglected it on my gratitude list. 

One word of caution. Garlic can be toxic to your dogs and cats. Please be careful if you feed your dogs and cats "people" food. 

What do you bring to impress a King? King Solomon was known for his wisdom and his wealth. People often brought him precious gifts when they sought his help. spices were on the list. They were as precious... and sometimes more precious... than gold or jewels. 

"The whole world sought audience with Solomon to hear the wisdom God had put in his heart. Year after year, everyone who came brought a gift—articles of silver and gold, robes, weapons and spices, and horses and mules." -1 Kings 10:24-25

 That was more educational than devotions. You never know where the gratitude train may lead. Some days, I don't know either. 

Today, I am grateful for garlic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment