Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Good Sharers

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 228- Today, I am grateful for "good sharers." 

All of our neighbors share. We literally have seven houses on our short little street, and every one of them is filled with "good sharers." The Ackerman, Gannon, Fairley, Dietz, Hall, Smith, & Lau families have bonded. 

The men share tools, lawn care, mowing, edging, good conversation, and advice on projects. Each one has different skills and knowledge. The Love of my Life calls it "phone a friend" when it is time to consult one of the other guys. There is always laughter and smiles. 

The women... we share garden goods, cookies, encouragement, tales of our families, cups of sugar or eggs, and our hearts as we walk through each season in life. Most of us have been here for 20 years or more. 

We went from a neighborhood of small children to one that looked like a used car lot with teen drivers. Our teens shared rides to school. And now, most are empty nesters. (The neighborhood's "baby girls" are in college and 8th grade. I do not know where the time went.) 

Not long ago, "sweet corn" was my gratitude of the day. Today, it involves sweet corn, but my gratitude is for those who share with joy. We were intentional in teaching our sons to be "good sharers." That is the phrase we used when they were little. I think they are. They both have generous hearts. 

We have our friends who have become family who always let us know "when the corn is ready" at the farm. That call always feeds this farm girl's soul. There is nothing like fresh sweet corn right off the cob.  Their generosity does not go unnoticed. 

A neighbor two streets over put a table in the front yard with "free sweet corn." It is a home I drive by or walk by many times over my way to or from work each week. It is not someone I know. (Contrary to popular belief, I do not know everyone in Morton.) 

I am grateful for the sharers.  

Generosity and hospitality please our Lord. 

"And don’t forget to do good and to share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God." -Hebrews 13:16 NLT

Today, I am grateful for "good sharers." 

No comments:

Post a Comment