Sunday, August 4, 2024

Lesson from a Diamond

 

Gratitude Year 12- Day 217: Today, I am grateful for a lesson from a diamond. 

Years ago, I had a family that introduced themselves to me at St. Jude as "The Job Family." I remember it stopped me in my tracks and I might have gasped a little. Then, they shared their story. 

Trust me. A pediatric cancer diagnosis is always huge, but they told me they had been through tougher times. They knew they had survived harder things, and I do not say that lightly. They knew that when they could not change the situation, they had to figure out how to press on through. 

The patient was full of life, humor, and hope. His burden was not light, but they were not lightweights when it came to trials and tribulations as a family. 

Last I knew, he was doing well. I am grateful for every win. Not everyone gets an earthly healing. That is why St. Jude is still fighting the fight every day to bring hope and healing to children and young adults with cancer. 

There is so much cancer everywhere right now in people of all ages. My prayer list is long. The "Pink Ribbon" list is full, but there are many other cancers, too. So many need our prayers, as do the loved ones caring for them and walking with them. 

I love this quote: 

"Affliction promotes holiness. The more the diamond is cut, the more it sparkles." -Thomas Watson

Diamonds are my favorite stone. Most are colorless and go with everything. (I like the colored ones, too.) And... they sparkle! I have a soft spot for Old Mine Cut and Old European cut diamonds. They sparkle brilliantly and have for centuries in some cases. The more they were cut (by a skilled craftsman), the more they sparkled. Every stone has a story to tell. 

Every uncut stone requires cutting, shaping, rubbing, polishing, and more to become desirable and useful. In the same way, affliction can refine us, shape us, and keep our focus on God. His desire is to know us intimately in our joys and in our sorrows.

Human nature often forgets Him in our celebrations, but He longs for the invitation to our weddings, holidays, and other celebrations. We are quick to run to him when things get to be too much to bear on our own. Death, loss, job loss, illness, and other trials. 

"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation." -Romans 5:3-4 

We do not wish for affliction and trouble, but we know that our Lord can help us trade in the ashes for beauty, in His tender care. 

Today, I am grateful for  a lesson from a diamond. 

No comments:

Post a Comment