Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Endless "I Love You's"

Year 4-Day 19: Today, I am grateful for the many ways people say "I love you". 

Sometimes, love is bossy. Sometimes, the "I love you" is disguised. To put the three words together and speak them is pretty scary for many people. Especially, those who have been hurt, disappointed or misunderstood. Still, when God blew into man his life breath...the very soul of man...he exhaled a need to be known and to love. He placed within us a need for relationships..with him and with each other.

When we give love, we discover the best inside of us.  When we allow ourselves to receive love, we discover that love is worth the risk.  

"To love and be loved is to feel the sun on both sides." -David Viscott

Yes...love warms us from the inside out when we give it freely.  It fills us with a light when we find the courage to receive love.  Sometimes, it is disguised.

"Take and umbrella, it's raining." - means I don't want the one I love wet and cold.
"Hurry Back." - means my arms and my house will feel empty without you.
"Watch out! You'll break your neck." means I want my loved one safe.
"Wear a coat!" - Means, I don't want my loved one uncomfortable or unsafe in fierce weather.

There are so many ways to say: "I love you." Part of what makes love beautiful is that it opens us up to vulnerability. It leaves us unprotected. C.S. Lewis says it well:

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.” ― C.S. LewisThe Four Loves

Yes...the safe thing to do is avoid love at all costs, to avoid being hurt, broken or gut wrenched with concern.  It would, also, be meaningless. 

If you are feeling unloved, try rethinking some of the things you hear today from those around you.

"Let me get the door for you." -  (I want to help you, because I care.)
"Would you like a piece of my candy." (Sharing with you makes me happy.)
"Don't forget your lunch." (I don't want you hungry.)
"Did you bring home your PE clothes?" ( I don't want you marked down or to stink)

It is easy to be come defensive or feel insulted, but so many times, the intentions are good and loving.  Listen, not just for the words,but for the love behind them. 

Today, the challenge is to listen for meaning beyond the wording. To open up and receive the love that is given, even if it seems encoded. 

Hosea 14 is a plea for the people of Israel to return to the Lord.  I love this wording from  verse 4 - where God expresses that his anger has turned to a longing for a repair and restoration in the relationship. "I will love them freely..."

For some, it takes courage to accept love. Keep offering. For some, it is easier to give love than to open themselves to receive.  To accept love requires that vulnerability. Still, I believe it is worth it. I know it is. 

Isn't it amazing that we have a God who says, "I will love them freely." Because of that love, we can freely give to others.  

Today, I am grateful for the many ways people say "I love you". 

No comments:

Post a Comment