Daily Gratitude Year 14-Day 276: Today, I am grateful for measuring spoons.
For me, love is shown in the kitchen. I enjoy feeding people. Growing up in Mama Ina Mae's family meant we had to know how to cook from scratch. We dried dishes (with flour sack towels) and when the sisters were there, singing might break out along with the laughter.
Our first measuring tool was a measuring spoon. We had to grow into using the measuring cups. Those tiny spoons added ingredients that would make or break a recipe if we added too little or too much.
Think about it. Salt, baking soda, baking powder, and spices are usually measured with measuring spoons. It is quite a bit of power in a child's hands. Have I ever mentioned that my Mama had the patience of Job?
We made mistakes. Mama never took our spoons away. She always let us try again with the lesson learned. (April once mixed up baking powder and baking soda in cookies. The incident is legendary in our family. Ask Randy.) The measuring spoon is tiny but might. Honestly, April and I were both able to cook meals long before we were teenagers. What a gift it was to grow up with encouragement in the kitchen.
Measuring spoons measure the small amounts over a pinch or a dash. I prefer the ones that have etched or embossed amounts that last forever. They get plenty of use in my kitchen. They can be a gift that lasts a lifetime.
This might be a new addition to my favorite scriptures. It speaks to the importance of balance and right proportions. In context, it is about generosity and the hearts of the givers. Be generous with cups of love and encouragement; sprinkle and dash correction with a side of kindness. The "Spirit of Correctiveness" is not a "Fruit of the Spirit."
As it is written, “Whoever gathered much had nothing left over, and whoever gathered little had no lack.” -2 Corinthians 8:15
I am grateful to be reminded that the right amount is just that... the right amount.
Today, I am grateful for measuring spoons.

No comments:
Post a Comment