Monday, September 18, 2023

Animals and Humans

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 261- Today, I am grateful for the relationships between animals and humans. 

It would be easy for me to go directly to dogs and cats with this post. They are our family members. But, this picture of Fred Rogers with Koko, the gorilla is a favorite capture with a beautiful story I found online. 

"Most people have heard of Koko, the gorilla who could speak about 1000 words in Sign Language, and understand about 2000 in English. What most people don’t know, however, is that Koko was an avid Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood fan. When Fred Rogers took a trip out to meet Koko for his show, not only did she immediately wrap her arms around him and embrace him, she did what she’d always seen him do onscreen: she proceeded to take his shoes off."

I love that she knew he took off his shoes. She saw him do it every day. How humbling for Mr. Rogers to have her full attention. I know she felt his gentle spirit, too.            

"Do not come any closer,” the Lord warned. “Take off your sandals, for you are standing on holy ground." Exodus 3:5

Such a great verse. We never know when we might be standing on "holy ground." I think this moment between man and beast was just that. 

Today, I am grateful for the relationships between animals and humans. 



No comments:

Post a Comment