Thursday, September 28, 2023

Fun Idioms

 

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 271- Today, I am grateful for fun idioms.

I once read a book about the language of the "Roaring 20's." I was struck by how I understood the words on the surface, but I had no clue to the true meaning.

The common idioms in the language of 100 years ago were like a foreign language to me. The phrases were unfamiliar. Context helped a little, but what really helped was a dictionary of phrases from that era.

Language is constantly changing. Idioms color our conversations. They can be a timestamp when someone is reading old letters.

I lived through the season of "The Valley Girl." That was almost physically painful. Idioms come and go. Sometimes, we age ourselves with our idioms.

"The bees knees" is a roaring 20's phrase for simply "the best." Idioms can, also, give clues as to where we grew up.

Farmers have phrases they use that the rest of the world might scratch their head over.

  • It's a tough row to hoe.
  • There was a pecking order.
  • He bought the farm.
  • We will be there in two shakes of a lamb's tail.
In Paul's letters to the church in Corinth, he noted his intention to use plain, clear speech to avoid any misinterpretation.

"And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit." - 1 Corinthians 2:4

Smart, right? There is a time for fun, creative speech. There is a time for clarity. We must choose our words wisely.

Today, I am grateful for fun idioms.

No comments:

Post a Comment