Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Grounded


Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 269- Today, I am grateful for things that are grounded. 

This image caught my eye, and then I read the passage. The phrase "grounded in truth" stood out for me. What does it mean to be "grounded?"

Planes get grounded for mechanical reasons. Pilots get grounded for medical reasons. Being grounded means they cannot fly.

Children and teens are grounded as a form of discipline. In a sense, poor behavior means "their wings are clipped" and freedoms are suspended. Not forever, but until they learn a lesson or pay a debt they owe related to the misdemeanor. 

My morning coffee or morning cacao are made with beans that are ground... reduced to small pieces... a broken state that makes them usable and ready to take on the boiling water to make my cup of morning joy. 

In electricity, we use the term "grounded" to mean something is connected to the earth. A fundamental truth about electricity is that it always wants to return to its source (Craig & Jason... I fear this is not my subject of expertise... I hope your aunt doesn't embarrass you.)Ponder that spiritual application. Are we grounded in such a way that our greatest desire is to return to the source of our faith? In electricity, not being grounded can be dangerous and lead to death. 

What about being grounded in a fundamental belief? It means you are able to provide a reason or justification for that belief. It is logical and clear. Grounded means you are not swaying with the winds, the tides, or easily moved. We come back to the passage where this thought train started. 

Let's go back to the original Greek word for a minute. Strong's G1477 - hedraioma- means to support or make stable. Grounded is a good translation. 

"but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth." -1 Timothy 3:15 NKJV

"Lord, teach me how to conduct myself to be a conduit of your love. Teach me how to submit to a broken state that makes me usable. Ground me in the safety of your truth, so I do not sway with the winds or find myself easily moved. Let my soul recognize the one to whom it longs to return. Ground me in every way that makes me reflect your purpose." - Amen

Today, I am grateful for things that are grounded. 

No comments:

Post a Comment