Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Cursive Writing

Gratitude Year 12- Day 205: Today, I am grateful for  cursive writing. 

Cursive writing almost went extinct. Thank goodness for those who are seeing the value. There is something so intimate in a handwritten letter that most documents fail to achieve. 

I love to doodle and embellish letters. My handwriting is better when I am not in a hurry. I love to slowly form each letter. Time does not always allow that luxury. 

My handwritten notes in my Bible and sermon notes are a mess. I hope my children can read them someday when I am gone or at least enjoy the puzzle of deciphering them. The thoughts come too quickly. Perhaps, I will be more intentional to keep it neat. I am usually writing quickly before my train of thought derails. 

Most of us find that we have favorite writing instruments that seem to improve our penmanship with the right tip or the comfort of the barrel when we hold the pen. These are the ones that help us produce our best handwritten items. 

Cursive writing in my Mama's or Grandmother's handwriting is a treasure. The best place to find them is often in old recipe boxes or in the margins of family cookbooks. Mama Ina Mae's handwriting was a mess. She would be the first to speak that truth. I love it anyway. Dad had better penmanship but the star in the family was my Uncle Mel. He had a teacher with a wooden ruler who had high expectations for the ones she taught to write in cursive. Uncle Mel's penmanship was beautiful. I know my cousins treasure the handwritten things they find. 

I have been reading old wills and other historical documents. The ability to read cursive writing helps us discover our past. Our beloved U.S. Constitution was handwritten. 

"Then the Lord said to me, “Write my answer plainly on tablets, so that a runner can carry the correct message to others."- Habakkuk 2:2

Carry the message. 

Today, I am grateful for  cursive writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment