Friday, July 26, 2024

The Exercise of Writing

 

Gratitude Year 12- Day 208: Today, I am grateful for the exercise of writing. 

I know I am a bit of a weirdo. I love to write. For me, a Thesaurus is like the Crayola Big Box of Crayons with the sharpener in the back. Adverbs and adjectives color the pages. I love writing that evokes all of my senses. I've often thought, if I ever have the chance, I would love to teach youth the joy in creative writing. Maybe someday. 

I love seeing period movies where a huge part of a woman's day was tending to correspondence. Letters were not simply a leisurely pastime, they were purposeful. I love seeing old suitcases found stuffed with letters on love, war, and even the politics of the day. 

My friend, Brenda, just found some letters her father wrote while in the service. How amazing is that? They were written and sent home to let them know how he was getting along with "Uncle Sam" as he served his country. Phone calls were expensive, but letters were cheap. I need to ask here how much the postage cost. From a base in Colorado sent to family at home.  It was a wonderful treasure to find. A well written letter captures a snapshot of life as it is at this moment. 

I have loved writing Christmas letters over the years. I have not written one since the year Mama died. We have had grief upon grief. From January 2021 to January 2024 there were 23 funerals. Aunt Bonnie, Javier, Kent, Brother Monte, Uncle Jim, Brother Ken (Brother-in-love), Mama, Donna, Cleve, Jeff, Sally, Caitlyn (Cousin Becky's Granddaughter), DeAnn, and Doug T. Some were family, our people, our friends who like family and have been with us for many decades. There are times we cannot get the words to lay just write on the paper.

I keep saying, "Maybe this year." I will say it again, "Maybe this year." I miss having the synopsis of our year on one page. We will see what December 2024 brings. I do love receiving cards and letters at Christmas. The handwritten ones are extra precious. 

The Declaration of Independence and US Constitution have inspired us for nearly 250 years. Penned by men well-versed in writing letters, they labored over every sentence to get it just right. They were men who knew how to write well and think well. 

"If people cannot write well, they cannot think well, and if they can not think well, others will do their thinking for them. -George Orwell, 1903-1950

Hang around people that challenge your thinking. Iron sharpens iron. 

"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." - Proverbs 27:17

Keep writing, reading, and doing your arithmetic. Buy a postage stamp and write a letter. 

Today, I am grateful for the exercise of writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment