Sunday, July 7, 2024

His Palm of Mercy

 

Gratitude Year 12- Day 189: Today, I am grateful for what His palm of mercy washes clean.

"Our Savior kneels down and gazes upon the darkest acts of our lives. But rather than recoil in horror, he reaches out in kindness and says, 'I can clean that if you want.' And from the basin of his grace, He scoops a palm full of mercy and washes our sin." -Max Lucado

Yikes! A word aptly spoken. Max Lucado has been one of my favorite contemporary authors for nearly 30 years. "He Chose the Nails" and "Traveling Light" will always be two of my favorite books penned by Max. 

"He Chose the Nails" taught me to find the joy in Easter beyond the guilt of knowing my hand might as well have held the hammer and nails. He doesn't want our response to His sacrifice to be one of guilt, but one of unending wonder, gratitude, love and joy. 

"Traveling Light" was a gift from my friend, Linda Neuhauser, not long after my sister died unexpectedtly two weeks before her wedding day. The book unlocked the joy in the Psalm 23. I associated Psalm 23 with funerals, but it is so much more. It is living with confidence. It is knowing death is a door and not a destination. He took the cross so we might only feel the "shadow of death." 

Shadows can be scary, but they cannot really hurt us. 

I've recently learned that the ancient shepherds would often battle burrs in sheep fur. Especially in the fur of the ones who wander into trouble. The prodigal sheep, when recovered, often had sticky burrs  to be removed, or they could potentially harm the sheep. Olive oil would help with the removal process. It makes the process more comfortable for the sheep, consequently making it easier for the shepherd, too. To make it even better, olive oil has antibacterial properties unknown to the shepherds. Again, God's instructions were ahead of "science" but who is keeping score? 

Ohmygoodness! Apparently, He is. This was my verse of the day when I went to grab a passage from Psalm 23. He wins the "Who Picked the Better Scripture" game... again! His is perfect. (I have chills.)

"God’s way is perfect. All the Lord’s promises prove true. He is a shield for all who look to him for protection." -Psalm 18:30

When we love deeply, it brings new eyes of understanding to our Savior's hands that long to rescue us, clean, and restore.  

Human nature means we want to point out everyone else's sins and shortcomings as lesser than our own. Pride rises up in all of us at times. We do our conscious best to beat it down until it looks more like humility. No one is exempt. When we fail or fall, He longs to clean us up and make us clean again. 

Today, I am grateful for what His palm of mercy washes clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment