Monday, July 24, 2023

Encourage Someone Today

 

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 206- Today, I am grateful we can encourage someone today. 

Just as a candle does not lose anything by lighting another along the way, encouragement is good for the one who gives and the one who receives. 

My sweet friend, Clara Jo, is an encourager. She told me she once told her that being an encourager was "Being a Barnabas." I have never forgotten the conversation.

Barnabas traveled at times with Paul. Paul had some physical struggles that made his days harder at times. Barnabas was an encouragement to Paul and to everyone else. 

"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." -1 Thessalonians 5:11

Encouragement is not false praise. It is not blustery. It is not self serving. Encouragement says, " I see you are trying. I see you improving. I see you not giving up." We all need encouragers around us. 

We have a favorite family story about our niece, Kenzie.  I made her a pink "Super Kenzie" cape for her birthday. Not long after, I received a call from my Sister-in-Love, Jennifer. Kenzie was practicing her flying. 

She would attempt to take off from couches, stools, and steps. She was determined to fly. She wasn't giving up. Some stools were taller than others. She would leap and land. Leap and land. Leap and land. She did not quit. She would say, "I almost had it." 

Her tenacity and belief was precious. 

Uncle Randy was very helpful. He told Jennifer to tell her to "Climb a little higher!" He was joking. Jennifer and I feared she might. She is my brother Matthew's daughter. 

I am glad that Jennifer let her try. She needed encouragement in her attempts far more than she needed someone to shoot down her dreams of flight. 

Who can you encourage today? 

Today, I am grateful we can encourage someone today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment