Friday, November 3, 2023

Beautiful Things

 

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 307- Today, I am grateful for "1000 Beautiful Things." 

Grandma Marge loved to read. So did I. She would encourage me to read books that were good for my soul. "Two From Galilee" and "1000 Beautiful Things" were two of my favorites. "God Calling" and "God at Evening Tide" were the other two I will always associate with her. 

"1000 Beautiful Things" by Marjorie Burrows is where I first read some of my favorite quotes and short stories. The book is a collection of poems, stories, plays, and quotes. Grandma gave it to me and it became a true treasure, until I loaned it out and it never came back. Now, normally, that would be fine with me, but this one was a gift from Grandma. 

One year, The Love of My Life, found a copy and purchased it from a used book vendor. The book is now back in my collection and it is doubly treasured because it represents two people who have loved me well. 

Beautiful words and poetry are not new, as this passage reveals:

"Beautiful words stir my heart. I will recite a lovely poem about the king, for my tongue is like the pen of a skillful poet." -Psalm 45:1

Not new... and still treasured. 

Today, I am grateful for "1000 Beautiful Things." 

No comments:

Post a Comment