Sunday, November 12, 2023

Seasonal Homemade Breads

 

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 316- Today, I am grateful for seasonal homemade breads.

There is something special about seasonal homemade breads. They make great gifts. They are a lovely way to show hospitality when guests are at the door. They are good for breakfast or snacking. 

What are your favorites? Zucchini bread makes me think of summer. The fall season is chock full of flavors. Apple and cinnamon breads are popular. In Morton, we love our pumpkins, so pumpkin chocolate chip bread is always a good choice. When we do not have time to make it ourselves, I am grateful for our local Great Harvest Bread Company that specializes in homemade breads  

In today’s sermon, we studied a little about Lydia. She was a competent and capable businesswoman, as a vendor of purple cloth. She had her family with her in Philippi while she was doing business there. The home was large enough to invite unexpected guests home after we encountered Paul, Timothy, Luke and the others with them. We are not told what she served, but every culture has bread. 

The day she met Paul, she was introduced to the Good News of Jesus. She learned of the fulfillment of the prophecies. She believed and received. I imagine she wanted to learn all she could before they parted ways, so she persuaded them to stay with her and her family. I wonder what bread was served to the ones who introduced her to “The Bread of Life?” 

As the Thanksgiving holiday kicks off the Christmas season, I can’t help but reflect on the wonder of it all. 

 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” -John 6:35

 Today, I am grateful for seasonal homemade breads


No comments:

Post a Comment