Sunday, February 21, 2016

Coffee & Jesus






Year 4-Day 52: I am grateful for the coffee & Jesus in the morning combination. 

Outside of a wake-up "Good morning, Lord." as I roll out of bed... and the fleeting thought of "I wonder what you have planned for us today?" Coffee comes first. 

Coffee is a ritual. It is a routine. Don't tell the rest of me, but ...sometimes... I even start with decaf if I know I will be drinking more throughout the day. I try to use some common sense with caffeine and  too much is too much. I don't like the feeling of being wired.  I do need the warm, cozy of my cup of java. It gets me ready for Jesus. 

I am a morning person...but one who needs coffee. 

Coffee and Jesus...a craving. One for the body and one for the soul. I decided to look up "crave" in my bible. It is not used often. Here is the passage I found:

Proverbs 21:25-27 states:  The desire of the sluggard kills him, for his hands refuse to labor.  All day long he craves and craves, but the righteous gives and does not hold back.  The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination; how much more when he brings it with evil intent.

Craving is associated with the lazy loser. The "sluggard" wants it all, but doesn't want to work for if.  Personal lusts, wants and desires guide his days. I want to crave the good things...not the bad. 

Dictionary time!  

I looked up the word "crave" and found something interesting. The Hebrew gave the word "Avah". It means "to wish for, covet or greatly desire. But that word has two different components of the definition: Piel and Hithpael.

"Piel" with is always the word used when applied to a soul craving...or food and drink. "Hithapael" is the desire or wish for oneself. It is all about me. 

Humans...each unique in our soul breath...crave things.  What will I choose to crave today.  

I knew that the New Testament had a "crave" but it didn't show up in my ESV translation...so I went to my NIV version. 

1 Peter 2:2 Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, 

The ESV uses the word "longing". The Hebrew word is epipoetheo: to long for, to pursue with love.  It is a different kind of craving...and definitely a soul craving. 

I hope you don't find this boring.  For me, looking at the Hebrew and Greek is like digging for golden nuggets...or maybe even like getting a new pair of reading glasses that clear the vision. 

Now...that we understand the difference between selfish cravings, soul craving and longings, let's look at the opposite of a selfish craving:

"but the righteous gives and does not hold back." We cannot neglect that part of the verse...it is the good stuff. The affirmation of the opposite of a sinful craving is righteous giving...without holding back. I've got some work to do here. 

Give to God, give to our neighbors and even to those who do not love us back. God says love me...and love each other. That recurrent theme rises again. When we choose to life it...it is life changing.  It is the way, the truth and brings us life. 

Giving fills our gratitude cup.  Crazy but true.  When we pour our lives into others...without holding back... in service to our Lord, the joy cup overflows. You won't be able to contain it. Not pour out expecting a blessing but embracing that we cannot out give our great God. 

"The desire of the sluggard kills him."  It happens.  Not always quickly, but the wheels of God's justice continue to turn. Sometimes, I find it hard to remember that he does things on his own time.  I find it easier to stay on track when we spend time together. 

Today, I am grateful for the coffee & Jesus in the morning combination. 





No comments:

Post a Comment