Monday, May 2, 2016

He Holds the Stars Steady






Gratitude Year 4 - Day 123: Today, I am grateful to trust a God who holds a billion stars steady. 

May has arrived.  It is as crazy busy...and expensive... almost like December, but we forget that until it arrives. Thus, I always feel a bit unprepared.  It the season of graduations, weddings, showers, anniversaries, Mother's Day and the first summer holiday weekend. The dance gets fast and some days, I am fairly sure I will not succeed with the "to do" list. May can be overwhelming. 

I wake up and wonder how it will all get done.  This is not a great way to start the day. I need to wake up...drink the coffee...and offer gratitude. I long to open my heart and fully trust The One who will hold my hand through the day, The One who will light my way in the dark halls, The One who will watch over my sleep and give me peace when I would...by nature...fret. He is the one who knows what he is doing. 

Moses and God had these bold "heart to heart" moments and conversations with God. Most of us would have wet our pants! God prepared Moses at every turn of his life's path. Moses...raised in the Pharaoh's palace with the Princess as his adoptive mother and protector, likely had an air of confidence based on "who he (small "h") was". God upset his apple cart when he patiently explained to Moses over and over again that it is about HIS being the great "I Am". Moses had to get over himself. 

God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, I am has sent me to you.’”-Exodus 3:14

Moses and God had to establish their relationship because there was a long role ahead. 

And the Lord said to Moses, “Is the Lord's hand shortened? Now you shall see whether my word will come true for you or not.” -Numbers 11:23

There would be great moments and frustrating ones. 40 years in the desert...homeless...relying on manna, quail and water from rocks to sustain a nation of people, could not have been easy. Still, God led, he spoke and he was attempting to bring their hearts back to Him after their season in Egypt where they had turned from His ways. God led them down a path of rediscovery until they once again called him Yahweh and bowed before his sovereign throne. 

It wasn't a short trip. They had to learn to trust Him again.  Not just in the miracles...but in the ordinary moments. Trust leads to obedience. They had abandoned their faith when life was hard. 

It is easy to judge the Israelite's for their failure to trust and obey. But, then I look into my own heart. There are places where I have to choose to trust or take it into my own hands. "First Born Miss Bossy Pants" that I am, I want him to do it my way and take my suggestions. There are days I struggle with submission to his sovereignty and that struggle leads to anxious moments. 

When my God says, "My arm is not too short." Why do I fight Him? 

I need to give him back the reins...in the rain and in the sunshine...and let him reign!

I need to trust the one who holds a billion stars in place, knows their number and calls them by name. The one who collects my tears and the one laughs with me in moments of joy. 

He knows what He is doing. He has been doing it...literally...forever! 

Today, I am grateful to trust a God who holds a billion stars steady. 




No comments:

Post a Comment