Thursday, February 23, 2017

Field Notes



Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 54: Today, I am grateful for "field notes".

A life is so much richer when we go out and live it. 

I'm a safety girl, always looking for the dangers and fearing failure. It is the curse of the first born and type A personalities. Is it so wrong to want excellence? 

The problem is, there is a sense of flying reserved for those who aren't afraid of failure. My best learning... the stuff that sticks... often is accompanied with what appears to be failure. 

Again... I am relishing the concept that it is merely a plot twist. 

How do we get through these day with confidence and courage?

I like to take notes, read notes and share notes. At my current position, I use a data base for student information. I have a precious note book. Not a little thing... it is a 3 inch, 3 ring binder. It is what I go to when I am stuck or can't remember how to do something. 

My "PowerSchool" queens have created a document that is in my binder... I love those girls... with basic instructions for different tasks. Then, I have my pages of notes and example printouts. They are highlighted with additional notes and post-it notes (things change). No one else would understand much of what is in the binder, as it is personal and it is how I learn and understand. 

Some tasks are only a few times a year and my memory is limited to about "three sleeps". My field notes help me remember, reduce frustration and lesson my stressin'. Of course, my queens are but a phone call away. That is good to know. Still, there is a sense of accomplishment when I can figure it out with their instructions and my notes. 

Hmmm... is it any wonder that I love Bible journaling? I've been using colored highlighters and making notes since the 70's. My Bible from my days at ONU is still a favorite. It is large print NIV with not one fancy feature except Jesus words are in red and there is room to make notes with the large print format. It is still one I go to for comfort reading and insight. The notes in the back include some of my favorite verses. 

The New Testament is full of letters shared between believers who had witnessed the miracle of the cross and new life. They were persecuted, hunted at times and mocked. The letters Paul wrote... some from prison ...  have became "field notes"... and they still are.  

Your words have supported those who stumbled; you have strengthened faltering knees. -Job 4:4

Yes... more wisdom from the pages of Job. Who new better how tough life can get? His knowledge of who God was sustained him when literally everything else fell apart. 

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.-Psalm 119:11

What notes will we take today. Enjoy your day in the field. Take a risk and write down what you learn. Even if it doesn't come out the way exactly as planned. Embrace the plot twists and turns. 

Today, I am grateful for "field notes".

No comments:

Post a Comment