Friday, December 1, 2017

The Power of a Dress

Year 5-Day 335: Today...I am grateful for the power of a dress (or a bow-tie for the guys joining in the fight). Welcome to Dressember 2017.

Dressember is a campaign that raises awareness and funds to help organizations like International Justice Mission and A21 fight the darkness of sex and labor slavery here and around the world. Why do I choose this campaign when there are so many good things to support? It moves my heart at the deepest part.

20 years in social services, you see a lot. Before that, some of the people we met, through Dad's jail ministry with Gideon Bibles, have faces and names I remember. There was one woman, not much older than me at the time, although she seemed "old". I still wonder if she ever broke free of the man who owned her? Is she dead or alive? Her chains were part psychological and fear played a role. I don't know. I wear a dress in her memory.

I will occasionally mention Dressember this month. It won't fill every post every day... but if you see me this month, I will be choosing a dress each day.

The control over what we wear.. or don't wear is a reflection of the power of our choices. We can dress to impress, to conquer or to simply be comfy and cozy. Yet, today more than 40 million people are enslaved with no choices as to how hard or how long they will work today... or what sexual and spirit wounding violations they will suffer in "a day's work".

In Dressember... we wear a dress for them.

In the United States, about 83% of the youth that end up in the human trafficking rings are taken while in foster care or on the run. Children already wounded and hurting take to the streets to escape something bad... and find themselves caught in something worse.

The International Labour Organization estimates that there are 20.9 million victims of human trafficking globally. 
68% of them are trapped in forced labor.
26% of them are children.
55% are women and girls.
Some are toddlers. 

I choose Dressember because the funds support rescue missions, restoration and rebuilding. It serves to support the justice efforts in the courtrooms and the battles behind closed doors in counselors offices. The resources helps victims start and build new lives. The money goes to organizations that have proved themselves financially and are concerned about the souls of these victims of violence and brutality. 

I am not alone. My team is "Shalom For All". Our team is a part of the bigger campaign across America. Rescue... urgent needs and aftercare. Together, we will make a difference. 

Jesus was serious and repetitive in his caution that we must care for the women and the orphans. In that culture, they were the "least of these" and without a voice. In many ways, they still are. 

I live freely, loved, and with choices. The least of these are not that far away. This month, we wear dresses and bow ties for those who have no say. 

My scripture for the month is: 

“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’...   “And he will answer, ‘I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.’ -Matthew 25:40,45

This month... we can choose to take up a dress... or support a cause that touches "the least of these." 

https://dressember.funraise.org/fundraiser/valerie-smith

Today...I am grateful for the power of a dress


No comments:

Post a Comment