Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Winter Coats

 

Daily Gratitude Year 10-Day 334: Today, I am grateful for winter coats.

I do not enjoy wearing a coat, but I am so grateful to have one when I need it. 

I think of the homeless in places that turn bitter with the winter winds and my heart hurts. Few plan to find themselves without a job, proper clothing or a home. Life happens in the midst of making plans. 

This passage is familiar to many:

She has no fear of winter for her household, for everyone has warm clothes (clothe in scarlet (or double thickness). -Proverbs 21:31

This is one where I clicked onto "all English versions" to compare translations from the Hebrew. "In scarlet" referring to dyed wool or "double thickness" are other translations. 

I went to Blueletterbible.org and found "in scarlet" to be very interesting. The Hebrew word relates to a particular insect whose body when crushed gives the red dye used to color fiber - it was most often wool- which is used for creating beautiful red items, and it is warm.  It is the female insect in this particular process whose body, when crushed, provides the dye to color the materials that would provide warmth in the winter months... and they are pretty. Interesting, right? 

What was common knowledge and language in the time of King Solomon, we have to dig a little deeper for understanding. 

Red coats are some of my favorites.  They are easy to spot in a crowd. They brighten the winter days. 

I don't love the cold, but I am so grateful to have proper winter outerwear. 

Today, I am grateful for winter coats.

No comments:

Post a Comment