Friday, June 16, 2023

A Rock Snake

 Daily Gratitude-Year Eleven: Day 164- Today, I  am grateful for a Rock Snake.

I could not resist using this for my post today. For my friends who are not fans of snakes can appreciate the cute art that would be very friendly for children of all ages. 

The serpent in the Bible is definitely a foe and not a friend. Still, in nature, these belly crawling creatures have their place in the ecosystem. They eat things like mice and creatures I would prefer to see controlled

The snake is a good reminder that there are consequences for our choices. 

"Then the Lord God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this, you are cursed more than all animals, domestic and wild. You will crawl on your belly,  groveling in the dust as long as you live. And I will cause hostility between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring. He will strike your head, and you will strike his heel.” - Genesis 3:14-15

This chapter in Genesis reminds us that God has a limit to what He will tolerate before there are consequences. The serpent found that out. 

As for Adam and Eve, God  showed great love even in their consequences. I find it a little paradoxical that the "curse" for women was pain in childbirth. That pain would bring our greatest joy. She would have the desire to "rule her husband", but it would be unfulfilled.  

For the men, the consequence was to work the land to provide a living. The work would require his blood, sweat, and at times... tears. Yet, a man gains great satisfaction and a sense of well-being in a job that is well done. The "punishment" would, also, bring joy.   

I love Genesis. I don't love snakes, but I don't despise them either. They have a job to do. 

This little crafty rock snake... he is adorable. 

Today, I  am grateful for a Rock Snake.

No comments:

Post a Comment