Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Fresh Basil

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 169- Today, I am grateful for fresh basil.

The Farmer's  Market had fresh basil this week. I love the smell and the taste. I like to touch it and smell it on my fingers. Basil is a delight to the senses. 

Tonight, I threw some in with zucchini, onions, pepperoni, and parmesan. It added  freshness to the dish, and it was pretty. 

Because herbs and spices are abundant in our markets we forget that, historically, they were symbols of wealth. They were traded like precious metals and gemstones. The following passage is from Genesis. 

"Then their father Israel said to them, “If it must be, then do this: Put some of the best products of the land in your bags and take them down to the man as a gift—a little balm and a little honey, some spices and myrrh, some pistachio nuts and almonds." -Genesis 43:11

Yes, spices were highly valued. They were welcome gifts in the ancient world. 

Imagine pizza or spaghetti without Italian herbs?  It would be pretty dull. Basil is in that mix. 

Today, I am grateful for fresh basil.








No comments:

Post a Comment