Saturday, February 24, 2024

Cemetery Records & Obituaries

Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 55: Today, I am grateful  for cemetery records and obituaries. 

I have been sucked into the rabbit hole of genealogy. Mama Ina Mae was always interested. I wish I had known then what I know now. It would have been fun to share the discoveries and the stories with her.

Today, there are so many modern tools for research and turning over new stones. Some of the best resources are obituaries and cemetery records. 

Of course, an obituary or a cemetery record is limited in the information collected or the information given. All of them can be useful as future generations uncover their family stories. It is so interesting to put the puzzle pieces together. 

The generations who came before us often moved in family groups. The Calkins and St. Johns eventually settled in Iroquois County bringing some of the Chaffee and Lockwood family members, too. All of them were familiar names in Sharon, Litchfield, Connecticut. 

The picture is my Great-Great-Great Grandparents stone at the Sugar Creek Cemetery in Iroquois County, IL. There are many more relatives nearby. I find this stone particularly beautiful and it has stood the test of time. I want to visit in person. 

I found this scripture that tells of Jacob setting  up a stone to mark Rachel's grave. It is one last, "I love you." 

"So Rachel died and was buried on the way to Ephrath (that is, Bethlehem). Jacob set up a stone monument over Rachel’s grave, and it can be seen there to this day." -Genesis 35:19-20

Today, I am grateful  for cemetery records and obituaries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment