Sunday, February 11, 2024

Foot Washing

Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 42: Today, I am grateful for foot washing. 

I found this image this afternoon. I told the one who posted it that I would likely borrow it for today's gratitude. 

My friend, Stacy, sent me the sweetest text tonight. She reminded me of the many years that my ministry partner, Julie Largent, and I washed the children's feet. Her text made my night. 

We always had foot washing as a part of the children's church on Palm Sunday. I did not grow up in the tradition, but after the first one, it became one of our favorite Sundays of the year. The children looked forward to it, too. 

We would take on the roles of Martha and Mary, the sisters of Lazarus. We would have such fun acting as if we were in Bethany 2000 years ago. We enjoyed sharing the lesson and the experience of washing another person's feet. We spoke of Jesus washing the feet of His disciples. We told them of Peter's resistance to the idea, and how Jesus insisted. 

"So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, 5 and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he had around him: - John 13:4

Foot washing allows us to intentionally humble ourselves before each other and before God. It goes against our human nature. To find contentment and joy in serving versus being served. 
Outside of our comfort zone and fully alive.

Today, I am grateful for foot washing. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment