Monday, February 26, 2024

The Attentive Eye

 

Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 57: Today, I am grateful for the attentive eye.

"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and it beholds every hour a picture which was never seen before... and which shall never be seen again." -Ralph Waldo Emerson 

Today was gorgeous. I walked outside and lifted my face to the sun. These unseasonably warm days make us think "Spring," but it is too soon. It has not yet sprung. 

Still, in this moment, we can take in the delight of an undeniable break from winter. It is easy to miss the moment because we look right past it. We must train our eyes, our ears, and our hearts to be more attentive in the moment. This hour will never return. It will never be lived again. 

How many important and potentially life changing moments do we miss because we don't pay attention? 

"God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him." -1 John 4:9

Dad used to have a little saying on the back of his business card that said something to the effect of, "If you meet me and forget me,  you've lost nothing. If you meet Jesus and forget him,  you've lost everything."

I probably quoted it imperfectly, but I think I nailed the truth. Some moments can change forever, but we have to seize the gift. 

Today, I am grateful for the attentive eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment