Thursday, February 8, 2024

Leftovers

Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 39: Today, I am grateful for leftovers.           

I love leftovers. It means less cooking during the week. I love leftovers even more when they transform into something fresh and new. 

I am fortunate that my guys never minded leftovers. In fact, leftovers are often planned overs. Fresh chili is great, but it might be even better the second and third day. You have to have chili before you can make chili-mac.   Yes, that is a fan favorite. Chili 5-Way or Chili- Three Way... everyone has their plate made to order (look up Steak-n-Shake if you are unfamiliar with the dish). 

I was contemplating this gratitude post, I could not help but think about the disciples Jesus chose. Many of them were society's "leftovers." They were not the popular, elite, or flying first class. (I know, there were no airplanes, but you get the picture.) 

" The Woman at the Well", she was definitely in the leftover category. How many men had she been with?  Yet, Jesus sent the disciples away so he could have a genuine conversation with her. 

Matthew was unpopular as a tax collector. The "Sons of Thunder", the nickname for John and James indicates they might have been boisterous. Peter was impulsive at times, but his loyalty ran deep. 

Saul was playing for the other side when Jesus recruited him. Mary Magdalene had a checkered past. She was not first on anyone's invitation list. Mary and Martha lived with their brother Lazarus. We do not know why they did not have homes of their own. We do know that Jesus was a frequent guest in their home.  

Jesus seemed to embrace those the world overlooked, treated poorly, ignored, or left behind. He did not see them by their race, gender, job class, or financial status. He saw souls.  

When the Roman Centurion's servant was sick, he brought the need to Jesus. Not only did Jesus stop what he was doing to address the soldier, he spoke of the soldier's great belief. 

"Jesus said, “I will come and heal him.” -Matthew 8:7

The man who commanded many men was confident that if Jesus spoke the healing, it would be done at His word, in the same way the men under his command obeyed his orders. The scriptures say Jesus "was amazed by his faith."  It is one of my top five passages in the Gospels. And the man was a Roman officer. 

The crowd saw a Roman soldier. Jesus saw a believer pleading for the life of another. Powerful stuff. 

My Earworm is singing the old Casting Crowns song, "Does Anybody Hear Her." It is one of my favorites. It challenges me to attempt to see what Jesus sees, even though I fail miserably at times.  

I am grateful Jesus loved the leftovers, too. 

Today, I am grateful for leftovers.



No comments:

Post a Comment