Thursday, February 29, 2024

Psalms of Ascent

Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 60: Today, I am grateful for the Psalms of Ascent (Psalm 120 - Psalm 134). 

This collection of fifteen Psalms in modern language were  "The Songs for the Journey to Worship." Their pilgrimage to the Temple in Jerusalem was a long road that went uphill. They would sing on the way. 

Imagine the children learning these songs of Solomon, David, and a few that are uncredited! 

I can imagine the families singing together, with the little ones messing up some of the words but doing their best to join in with the grown-ups and older children. They would remember the words for all of their days, just like we remember the songs of our youth, too.  

My soul delights in music. I sometimes think in lyrics. Rhymes come easily. When it comes to worship, certain songs magnify our praise offering. "Ten Thousand Reasons (Bless the Lord Oh My Soul)" is one that has been mine for more than a decade. It is my worship song on the best days and the hardest days. The best worship songs seem to be able to do both.

Another one I continue to cherish is "What Do I Know of Holy?" by Addison Road. It is another song that lifts my soul in praise and humbles me all at the same time. 

Some songs are joyful. Others carry our brokenness to the throne of His mercy, healing, and grace. 

"I took my troubles to the Lord; I cried out to him, and he answered my prayer." - Psalm 120:1

If I made a list of 15 songs to make my way to worship, what would they be? I would have to think about it for a while. It would be hard to choose from the best of the best. What would make your list of the top 15? 

Today, I am grateful for the Psalms of Ascent (Psalm 120 - Psalm 134). 

No comments:

Post a Comment