Friday, September 13, 2024

The Season of Pumpkins

 

Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 257: Today, I am grateful for the season of pumpkins.

Ah, September welcomes what someone once coined as the "-ber" month. In one blink it is halfway done. October is literally around the corner. As "The Pumpkin Capital of the World", we start putting out the pumpkins early. In fact, we always have a few tucked around the house. 

Pumpkins come in so many colors and shades. I do not know know many varieties exist. I tend to describe them by color, shape, and size. Ornamental and pie pumpkins would be another way I tend to sort them out.  I saw a t-shirt where different varieties of pumpkin were listed. I need to get pumpkin educated. After all these years, there is so much to learn. 

One of our favorite newer additions to the Pumpkin Festival is a group that roasts pumpkins and fills them with stew. It is absolutely delicious and they use the money to help the homeless and the hungry. I do not know the pumpkin varieties. I know that pumpkins are squash, but not all squash are pumpkins.  

God is so evident in creation. When the winter is coming, there are foods that keep for a very long time, including fall/winter squash. (Acorn and Butternut are two of my favorites.)

"While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.” -Genesis 8:22

Enjoy the fall's bounty. 

Today, I am grateful for the season of pumpkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment