Friday, September 6, 2024

Homecomings

Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 250: Today, I am grateful for homecomings.         

There is a difference between knowing someone and living with them. I remember the often given advice that living with a best friend in college can end a friendship. You can know someone and love someone... but living together... it means you see each other morning, noon, midnight, and "O'Dark Thirty" (any time it is too early to be awake). 

I was so blessed with my college roommate. When we found each other, we stayed together. I have often thought it is the best preparation for marriage. Two people from different family experiences find a way to live together. My Laurie Jean was perfect for me!!! Not everyone gets a Laurie Jean. 

A college roommate is a temporary living arrangement. Laurie went home for holidays and for summer and so did  We always looked forward to the reunions and were sad at the separations. We made a home in our tiny little dorm room with essentially two beds, two desks, two closets, a dresser, small fridge, and a walkway between the beds that pushed in for daytime, doubling as sofas.  That was all we had. It was enough. 

Some of my best college memories were made in that small room. The last time I saw her was at an ONU Homecoming. Homecomings are good. 

We had different majors. Our social circles were woven together, but there were many days we barely saw each other unless we planned for a meal together. There was always something sweet when the day was done and we were both "home" for the evening. 

I love this passage from John:

"Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them." -John 14:23

Jesus is not talking about a visit. He is talking about a Homecoming. He longs to come and make His home with each of us. The Holy Trinity... Father, Son, and Spirit... long to make our hearts home. It is profound. It is hard to grasp with human  understanding. Childlike faith pleases our Lord. 

When the Disciples were beaten, jailed, and hunted... their temporary homes were jail cells or strangers homes. Jesus encouraged them to travel light and to not be too attached to worldly things. They each understood the day would come when they would make the final journey to their Heavenly home. 

Today, I am grateful for homecomings.







No comments:

Post a Comment