Saturday, May 10, 2014

525,200 Minutes...

It is nearly graduation and what I get done for Ciara's book will have to be complete.  I have savored every moment of shooting her photos, reflecting on her lift this first 18 years and savoring the young woman she has become. The LOAD challenge for Day 8 was "The Soundtrack of your Life" - Easy!  Music is such an important part of my life that choosing just one was the hard part.  Then I realized I hadn't scrapped this particular photo for Ciara (my niece) and she graduates from High School this month.

Seasons of Love from Rent has long been a "soul song" for me.  I didn't expect to make another page for Ciara's  Sr. Album - but here it is. We have lived this year in a season of grief and loss. Her grandfather(my Dad) died in April 2013, then a 14 year old cousin who attends school with her was hit by a semi and killed in June 2013... and in October 2013 (on her 18th birthday) I watched her stand holding my brother's hand as he buried his best friend, business partner and "brother from another mother" after he was killed in a combine accident. Her senior year has not been all magical memories and dances.  She is one tough cookie despite her tiny frame (she did not get the tiny frame from me). This prompt has been  good for my soul...and I hope she loves the page. The background of the photo is a grain bin on our farm...my "homeplace" ...the phrase my dad and uncle called their parents farm.

Today - two lovely ladies who matter to me will graduate.  Devon Elliot (my cousin's daughter) and Anna Leander (the new wife of my Jill's son Ryan) will graduate from Olivet Nazarene University - It seems not that long ago, I was where they are today- college diploma in hand and not sure what this new grown up life will mean. They are both smart, sweet and will make a big difference wherever they choose to plant their seeds of kindness and hope. My advice to them ...is the same as it is to Ciara...and my other cousin's son, Nick Wheeler, who will also graduate from High School this month...

"Measure you life in love!"

1 comment:

  1. Bless your hearts. It's wonderful that you have each other. She is a beauty! And what a fantastic job you did on this layout and the journaling!

    ReplyDelete