Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Bare Feet

Year 5 - Day 178: Today, I am grateful for bare feet. 

I'm a weirdo about feet. I don't find them ugly. Feet are pretty amazing. Mine take me everywhere I go... and they are happiest bare. It's not been scientifically investigated, but I think naked toes help us breathe better.

Did you know that God instructed Moses.. from a burning bush... to remove his sandals to stand on holy ground? You can read if for yourself.  

God said. “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.” -Exodus 3:5

Moses was called into a place of a unique relationship with God and a responsibility to the people of the Israel. For all of his life, God was preparing him to be their leader for what would be their grand exodus from Egypt. Although God was in it, it was not all easy and smooth sailing. There would be parted waters... but there would be trials and troubles, too. 

So God told Moses to take off his sandals, for he was standing on holy ground. 

My friends who lived in Asia for many years discovered that no shoes in the house was tradition in some cultures, to the extent that not taking them off would be considered rude. In fact... when their daughter, Brittany Christine, was barely talking, I remember her marching around at her grandparents saying "No shoes in house. No shoes in house."  A girl after my own heart. 

Studies show that we drag terrible stuff into our homes on the bottom of shoes.  https://www.wimp.com/heres-the-scientific-reason-not-to-wear-your-shoes-inside-the-house-anymore/ Yikes!

We are a shoes off at the door family. One of the things I loved most when the kids were home was a big pile of shoes at the back door. It meant the house was full. (Okay, sometimes it means I haven't put my shoes away... and I have a "shoe problem"  - as the Love Of My Life refers to it - anytime the majority of the shoes at the door are mine.)

There is something wild and free about being barefoot. Shoes and sandals protect and serve.Bare feet hide nothing. 

Barefoot and baring our souls before the Lord is a good combination. 

Today, I am grateful for bare feet... and holy ground.  


No comments:

Post a Comment