Monday, February 5, 2018

Winter Animals

Year 6-Day 36 :Today, I am grateful for animals who brave the winter.

Nature... by God's design... causes some animals to migrate to warmer temperatures in the the winter. I am grateful for those who star around and give us inspiration to press on and press through winter's storms. 

As I write this morning, we are at about -4 degrees and snow on the horizon. We are more likely to get more than 3-6 inches than we are 1-3... according to my weather app. We shall see. Weather forecasts are often inaccurate. 

My goal to not complain about winter this year is a little more challenging on days like today, so I must look for inspiration.  I need look no farther than front or back yard.  

Winter is necessary for the life of these plains that have been the only home I've known. It rests the land. It freezes off some undesirable things. It renews and restores for the spring to come. 


"For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven." -Ecclesiastes 3:1

Such wisdom for the ages. I watched a winter and war battered squirrel the other day find rest and a drink at our pond. I felt sorry for him. Since I don't speak squirrel, I don't know his story, but I know he was thirsty. I think he was grateful for the convenient drink so close to whatever tree he called home. 

Animals who brave the winter always humble me. I have the luxuries of a home with a heater, blankets, oven and fireplace. Still, the animals don't fret the weather. They instinctively trust and do what needs to be done. They will savor the luxury of an easy drink of water when it presents itself. 

For the word of the Lord holds true, and we can trust everything he does. He loves whatever is just and good; the unfailing love of the Lord fills the earth.-Psalm 33:4-5

His unfailing love is with us in every season. Animals who weather the winter with us are a constant reminder of that truth. Imagine a winter landscape devoid of animals and birds. That would be a lonely, barren place. 

Today, I am grateful for animals who brave the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment