Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Lavender

Year 6-Day 52: Today, I am grateful for lavender.

Lavender is in the mint family... who knew? I didn't. It is considered a weed to some people, because it can seed and spread quickly. I am not sure why that would be a bad thing. Not all in the lavender family are the color shade we know as lavender, but plant that gives us the color name is one of the most familiar. 

It has amazing healing and comfort properties, beyond the fragrance that I have grown to really enjoy. Some people use it in the kitchen. A co-worker once brought in lavender lemon cookies that were really good. I love the sense of calm and happy the scent evokes. I have a lavender and lemongrass wax melt that is a family favorite. 

Lavender is full of essential oils. It can have powerful effects on the human body and has the most unique and beloved scents in the world. I didn't always love it. My first experiences with lavender, it was mixed with vanilla. Both lovely, but together, they were too much and too sweet for my senses. Others may feel differently. 

As for the health benefits, they are many. From reducing anxiety and relieving stress to aiding digestion. It, also, has anti-inflammatory and natural antiseptic qualities.  I am reminded of this scripture:
"The fruit will be for food and the leaves for healing.” -Ezekiel 47:12

The plants of the earth are full of wonder. 

Lavender... the color.. is just a shade and a little blue away from periwinkle, another favorite. Lavender colored blooms in the garden always add so much to the landscape. The color is regal but not pretentious. 

In Biblical times, spices were as valuable as gold. The Queen of Sheba brought camels loaded with spices to impress King Solomon. As for lavender specifically, I could only find lavender in the Message translation in the Song of Solomon... but mint is mentioned by Jesus. Interesting enough, it is in the spirit of correction for those who give generously and perhaps flamboyantly to the church, but neglect more important matters... people in need by neglecting justice, mercy and faithfulness. 

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. -Matthew 23:23

They were giving impressive, expensive spice offerings to God, but they were not loving the people. We mustn't forget the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. 

I think lavender is a great way to love people. My sweet friend Susie gifted me with some essential oils at my birthday. Lavender is in the mix for calm and peaceful sleep. When I apply it, it think of her gift and celebrate the healing and health properties. I savor the scent. 


Today, I am grateful for lavender.

No comments:

Post a Comment