Monday, February 12, 2018

Fifteen Minutes

Year 6-Day 42 :Today, I am grateful for fifteen minutes.

Savor is my word for the year. The intention is to be more intentional. To slow down and sip, smell, smile and celebrate the simple. One of my favorite scriptures... a life verse I have attempted to apply daily to whatever comes... "Be still and know I am God..." It can be found in Psalm 46:10.  

Here is the whole verse: “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”

Rest assured... his promises are true. Some just take more time than others. Man of the great faith legacies we can read in our Bibles are of people who spent what seemed like a lifetime waiting on the Lord. His clock is not our clock When the time was right... in His time... he fulfilled every promise to his glory and the often stunning onlookers. Only God has perfect timing. 

So why fifteen minutes? Fifteen minutes can change our course for the entire day. Fifteen minutes is long enough to read (or write) a quick gratitude entry in a journal. It is long enough to savor a cup of coffee (or tea) and read a passage of scripture. 


Fifteen minutes is long enough to intentionally pray for someone carrying a burden, for our children and spouses, for a couple praying for adoption, several battling addiction, for several suffering from illness, for someone who is dying or someone who is grieving. Fifteen minutes can make a world of difference.

We use the phrase "carving out time", and perhaps that is what it feels like. Fifteen minutes of good fellowship can breathe new life into a long day. 

Fifteen minutes reminds me that God is good... all the time... even on the hard days. When we seek his face, we find his grace and it is always sweet. 


At the beginning of the week, it is easy to get overwhelmed with all that needs to be accomplished. We do love our "to do" lists. What if we simply started each day with giving God fifteen minutes to help us organize and prioritize?


God first. Then people. Then "to do's" will happen more naturally. 

"Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit ,serve the Lord."-Romans 12:9-11

I find myself reflecting on how often I waste fifteen minutes on things that don't really matter. I know I need to be more intentional... not just in my morning routine... but throughout my day. Today, is a good day be more intentional in keeping it simple and practicing genuine love and brotherly affection. 

Love Him with a wild abandon. Love others like crazy, too. Claim fifteen minutes at a time to be fervent in the spirit... in prayer... or in service. Fifteen minutes can be a day changer. 

We get 1,440 minutes in a day. Take out 480 minutes for 8 hours of sleep which is good for the body and soul. 960 minutes remain. 16 hours has sixty-four 15 minute intervals. I like how plentiful it sounds. How will we spend them, today?


Today, I am grateful for fifteen minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment