Saturday, March 2, 2024

Because He Rules

 Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 62: Today, I am grateful we can rest because He rules. 

"The soul that has learned the blessed secret of seeing God's hand in all that concerns it, cannot be a prey to fear. It looks beyond all second causes, straight into the heart and will of God, and rests content because He rules." -Susannah Spurgeon 

What a quote! It holds a deep truth that we cannot ignore. We may have a plan. We may have big ideas. But, we are not God. His world. His rules. His will. His purpose.

Every once and awhile I have one of those "eureka" moments when things become clear. This is one of those moments. So many times, in brokenness and pain, I have heard the words, "It must not have been a part of God's plan." I've struggled with that thought at times, myself. I am human. 

I know this world is not fair and there is evil to contend with, too. God's justice is real, just like his mercy. He does not operate on our plans or our schedule. But here is the often missed truth: The things he "allows" are within His will, right? Look beyond simple cause and effect. Sometimes, bad things happen in this fallen world. 

Next time we are concerned with "the will of God", perhaps we should redirect our thoughts to what we know is true. What is that? His purpose. His purpose is to rescue,  restore, and refine us into an intimate relationship with Him. 

I cannot imagine what it is like to see and know all. We humans want to be the center of our own universe, but we could not really handle that kind of pressure. I love that this quote points us to the heart and the will of God, knowing that we can rest when He is in charge. Any trial that comes our way is an opportunity to lean on Him and into His promises. 

Do not misunderstand. I do not enjoy or look forward to the trials. But in retrospect, every trial has brought me closer to Him. He is our hiding place, our comfort, our calm, and our peace. 

I prayed before going for a passage in Psalms, "Lord, if you have a better passage for today's post, show me." It is that little game we often play. At times, I feel a chill go down my spine because He is listening. He hears our prayers. Here was the passage on the screen when I opened up my Bible Gateway:

"But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his way without turning aside." -Job 23:10-11

He wins again! It always delights my soul. 

Today, I am grateful we can rest because He rules. 



No comments:

Post a Comment