Sunday, March 3, 2024

Reminders to Listen, Learn, & Worship


Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 63: Today, I am grateful for reminders to listen, learn, and to worship Him in Spirit and in Truth.

Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.” -John 4:23-24

Do we seek to worship in a way that is comfortable for us, or do we step outside of our comfort zones and let the worship flow?

It is natural that our worship reflects our unique personalities. Right? How do you discover your worship style? How do you act at the football playoffs or a basketball championship? What about a music concert with your favorite artists.? Are your reserved? Some are. Or, can you be found with your arms in the air, whooping it up when something good happens?

That is what worship looks like for you. Should worship for our favorite baseball teams be more heartfelt than the worship we offer our Lord and Savior?

Now, I am not saying everyone has to throw their arms in the air to prove they have entered into a state of worship. Not at all. Again, the one who created us knows our hearts. He knows when we are watching the time or our phone. He knows when we have arrived with a heart ready to focus on Him.

Chase introduced me to Neil Gaiman. He wrote "The Graveyard Book" - which Jacquey Akers will tell you is one of my favorites for young adult books at MJHS. It is an adoption story... and a ghost story, too. Neil has a way with words. I found this quote today:

“Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.” – Neil Gaiman

This quote was perfect for today's gratitude. Do I worship God in a way that pleases me or do I seek to worship God in a way that pleases him? I have some thinking to do on that note. 

When I present myself as a "living sacrifice" (Romans 12:1)and then... because I am living, I can "crawl off right off of that altar" and return when it is convenient for me? 

The thought is not original. It came from today's message. I will have something to chew on for at least a week and maybe longer. 

What is real worship? What is simply "going through the motions?" How do we worship in a way that pleases our Creator, Lord, and King?

Today, I am grateful for reminders to listen, learn, and to worship Him in Spirit and in Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment