Sunday, March 10, 2024

Waiting on the Daffodils

Gratitude Year 12 - Day 70: Today, I am grateful for waiting on the daffodils.

Title: Daffodils, Etching, 
Artist:Isabel Saul (early to mid-1900’s) 

"Daffodils come before the swallow dares, and take the winds of March with Beauty. The Winter's Tale. William Shakespeare.

I have not seen this verse before. Shakespeare did have a way with words, didn't he? He must have been so observant of the details of the world around him. The people and nature, too. He is spot on about daffodils. 

I have mentioned the brave little crocus, but after the crocus is spent, the daffodils and tulips are on their way. I really like yellow. It is not my favorite color, but it is high on the list. Yellow is sunlight, warmth, and hope. 

That the courageous little daffodil dares the winds of March before the swallows return is a powerful testimony to beauty in the winds of changing seasons. (I have a wind theme going this week, apparently.) 

When the winds hit the daffodil, it chooses to dance. It is built for the dance with a stem that is not too thick... and not too thin. It is just right. 

"Lord, we are grateful for the lessons you give us in nature everyday. Help us to pause and ponder what you long to teach us. You want us to see the examples before us. Too often, I am in a hurry. Help me to slow down to watch, listen, and learn without a crisis. Fill our hearts with a hunger to chase your heart in the ordinary days. We thank you for the gift and lessons from the daffodils." -Amen

One scripture passage stands out like song: 

"To everything there is a season..." but as I headed to Ecclesiastes, I received my verse of the day. What do you know... His is better than mine. (Imagine that... He wins again!)

"Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it." -1 Peter 3:15

The daffodil dances before our Lord in the sometimes bitter winds, and keeps on shining with all of its hope and purpose. Resiliency and beauty before us. The hope and promise of good days around the corner. While we wait, don't forget to dance!

Today, I am grateful for waiting on the daffodils.




No comments:

Post a Comment