Friday, August 26, 2016

26 Letters in the Alphabet

Daily Gratitude Year 4- Day 239: Today, I am grateful the alphabet has 25 more letters when "Plan A" doesn't quite work out. 

Yes...life does have unexpected plot twists! The story we thought we were writing takes a sudden turn.  Not all plot twists are bad... but many are interesting. 

Control. How I struggle with it at times. I love a back up plan to a back up plan. Sometimes, I think God expresses his sense of humor as much as his love and grace when life takes a sudden turn. 


My plans are often researched, measured, plotted and weighed out, but his are sovereign and holy. I can barely see to the end of one page or chapter in my story... but he sees the big picture.He knows the whole story. Our human need for control can create a major conflict and suck the joy right out of the plans he has for us. 

There is an old song, "You Can't Hurry Love" ...that may be true, but equally true is that we can't hurry God. His plans are always perfect but they are not always fast and easy. The good stuff is worth the wait. 

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11

There hope of this verse...written to a nation in exile is a popular one. It is full of promise. But, sometimes we need to be reminded of verses 12 and 13:

"Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. – Jeremiah 29:12-13 

Call. Come. Pray. Seek. "Seek me with ALL of your heart." Holding nothing back. To claim the promise requires a commitment to consult the Master Planner. 

Working in a school  I have learned that the "master schedule" is a nightmare at times. Every cog in the wheel impacts another. Every one has their individual goals, desires and idea of a perfect plan. The problem with that is about 53 people have their own idea of a perfect. When working collectively for a greater good and common goal, there is always give and take. 

When people come together for a common goal - good things happen. Even in crisis and tragedy, we see good things happen. In His image... the fires of life define and refine us. A tune I am hearing often right now is called "Diamonds" by Hawk Nelson. Great song. 

He's making diamonds, diamonds
Making diamonds out of dust
He is refining in his timing 
He's making diamonds out of us

Oh the joy of the lord
It will be my strength
When the pressure is on
He's making diamonds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf1ARbpB0gA  

Under pressure...coal becomes so much more. Plan "A" turns to plan "B"... "C" and beyond. Yes, the alphabet has 26 letters. So many plot twists in our stories. 

Will I ever comprehend that His ways are not my ways? Can my human mind.. although made in his image...admittedly struggles to wrap my head around the truth that God's driving desire is to restore his relationship with us. He wants us back. Like the father who welcomes the prodigal son home... his heart's desire is for us to seek him, find him and love him with our first breath, our last breath and every heartbeat in-between. 

 "I will be found by you, declares the Lordand I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the Lord, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile." – Jeremiah 29:14

I will restore. I will gather. I will bring you back. You can breathe and trust in me. 

Impatience gets in the way. The desire to know what is ahead can cheat today of it's goodness.  It is great to have plans...but when we submit our plans to Him and embrace the master's schedule... He moves in bold and mighty ways. 

Today, I am grateful the alphabet has 25 more letters when "Plan A" doesn't quite work out. I am grateful I am not responsible for the master schedule, only my heart and my part. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment