Friday, August 5, 2016

Scarlett O'Hara

Daily Gratitude Year 4- Day 216: Today, I am grateful for life lessons in literature. 

Mama Ina Mae loves "Gone with the Wind". I am surprised Rhett was never considered for a boys name for Matthew. Still, it is Scarlett O'Hara that Vivian Leigh brought to life from the pages of Margaret Mitchell's classic novel. It is Scarlett we remember. 

“I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow.” 
" After all, tomorrow is another day.”

It is a recurring theme for Scarlett.  When the war, life, love, loss and fear are at the door step, she puts off tomorrows trouble and focuses on the problem at hand. The one that won't wait. 

Here spirited monologues and southern charm make her endearing, even when she is being spoiled and absolutely ridiculous. I think it is her spirit Rhett Butler falls for...head over heels in love. His hope is to love her into someone different. Someone that will love him back with the same devotion and sense of self sacrifice he feels for her. She is his Achilles heel. 

It is good to step back and breathe. Refocus and take one day at a time. Two is too many.  Jesus said:

“Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. -Matthew 6:34

Margaret Mitchell was likely familiar with the verse. But Scarlett misses the heart requirement in the verse right before it.   

 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. -Matthew 6:33

It is important to keep these verses together and in context to get the most out of them. When we seek His kingdom first, the seeds of peace are sown. They take root. They grow where the soil is fertile. 

Scarlett had her own plans and was determined to make them succeed. She really was a tiny force of nature in her billowing skirts and tight corset. She had moments of compassion and kindness where you would think she was figuring it out. Then, she would return to her old ways. Love was right in front of her and she rejected it again and again. Rhett's patience and undying love made him the heartthrob of the generation...and generations to come.  

I am challenged to ask myself, "What kingdom am I seeking?"  "Do I reject real love and God's direction as I seek my own agendas?"  Do I act like Scarlett? 

A heart re-alignment is always a good idea, just like the tires on the car need alignment occasionally. 

Today, I am grateful for life lessons in literature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment