Thursday, August 18, 2016

Walk Gently

Daily Gratitude Year 4- Day 231: Today, I am grateful not all wounds are obvious...and equally grateful for those who "walk gently". 

"Not all wounds are so obvious, so walk gently in the lives of others.". 

That quote goes well with another one I try to keep close:


“Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something and has lost something."-H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

In other words, everyone has a story that would break your heart. 

At some season  in life, each of us is the "walking wounded", just trying to get through the day. There is no greater gift from another human than to have grace extended. Not someone trying to "fix us"...but someone who simply helps us through the troubled waters. 

A note of encouragement. A kind word. A gentle voice. These are lifelines. H. Jackson Brown, Jr. has another quote, and this one is new to me:

"If you know someone who tries to drown their sorrows, you might tell them sorrows know how to swim...”

 by purity,knowledge, patience, kindness, the Holy Spirit, genuine love;w, there is some wisdom... and a warning. There are many, many ways to attempt to "drown our sorrows". From alcohol to work, but sorrows swim. Grief and sorrow don't destroy us...the things we do to escape them. 

It is why the fellowship and comfort of the Holy Spirit is like no other. 

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." -Isaiah 41:10

"For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." -Romans 14:17

We are called to be his hands and his feet. To love Him so much that our eyes become his eyes and see the needs in front of us and not just the irritations. We see a neighbor where we once saw a stranger. Believe me, I need this reminder as much as the the next person. 

"by purity,knowledge, patience, kindness, the Holy Spirit, genuine love; In return (I speak as to children) widen your hearts also" -2 Corinthians 6:6,13

Widen  your hearts. Hearts wide open. If someone in our midst is drowning in sorrows...we can swim beside them... encourage... and exhale the hope we know in Christ. 

Oh Earworm... "In Christ Alone" seems to be the song of the morning. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsgwfliQoqg 

Today, I am grateful not all wounds are obvious...and equally grateful for those who "walk gently"

No comments:

Post a Comment