Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Default Settings

Daily Gratitude Year 4- Day 230: Today, I am grateful we can change our default settings. 

The trouble with default settings is that I forget about them...and I forget I can change them. In this day of ever present technology, the reality is that most devices have default settings. The device can be so much more pleasing to use when I remember I can over-ride, reset and create new defaults. 

Printers and phones are some of the most common reminders that our defaults do not have to be where we have to be "stuck". 

I love assigning ring tones to callers. A unique chirp or tone can tell me that my phone is the one with a new message. There is fun and freedom beyond the default. 

Jesus came and changed the default. The way of sacrifice and atonement for sin was clear and understood for God's people. They knew the rules.  They knew the requirements... a blood sacrifice... a perfect lamb...and a sincerely repentant heart. That way is almost incomprehensible to me, but for thousands of years, it was the way. 

 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.  For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished."  - Matthew 5:17-18

Jesus became the way. He didn't change it. The perfect lamb for all who believe and choose Him to be their savior and sacrifice. Once and for all. 

"But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.  And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,  so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him." Hebrews 9:26-28 

God's desire for a restored relationship... deep and real... that never changes.  His need for justice does not change, either. Sin still demands a sacrifice. The price is paid for those who choose to believe. Washed whiter than snow. Freedom awaits. 

Do we default to old ways and ignore his grace? Do we claim to know his salvation, but make no changes in our personal default settings? How do we know His grace has changed us? Jesus said (paraphrased): "Love God. Love your neighbors...all of them." This is the evidence of His grace in our lives. It changes our default settings. 

Anger, jealousy and pride can cause a power surge that resets us back to our original, human default setting of "it's all about me". Prayer, reading the Word and worship in our daily walk help us restore our new defaults granted through Jesus grace and mercy. New joy and new freedom results.

Today, I am grateful we can change our default settings.



No comments:

Post a Comment