Sunday, August 6, 2017

Stand Still

Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 218: Today, I am grateful for reminders to "stand still."

I was reading 1 Samuel 12:16 and Earworm woke up to sing Paul Simon's "The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)"

Sometimes that happens. I'm minding my own business...and the little earworm that sings the songs stuck in my head wakes up belting out a song I haven't heard for years. If you love music, you probably have an earworm, too. 

Funny thing is... what Earworm comes up with usually compliments the scripture or the moment. Look at this scripture: 

“Now then, stand still and see this great thing the Lord is about to do before your eyes! -1 Samuel 12:16

Now, look at these song lyrics:

"Slow down, you move too fast
You got to make the morning last
Just kicking down the cobblestones
Looking for fun and feelin’ groovy
(much more song in between)
I got no deeds to do
No promises to keep,
Feelin’ groovy"

This song sings of the joy in eliminating the busy. Oh, I am a victim of busy... and the worst part is, there are times I invite or allow it. There are good and healthy "nos" that keep us free to "be still". 

I hear echoes of Psalm 48:10, "Be still and know that I Am God."

I need the reminder to stand still. If I don't want to miss the good stuff... great things the Lord is about to do. In the stillness is clarity and peace. Contentment comes with trusting that the Lord is good. There is delight in seeking the stillness to listen for His voice. Vision clears when we hear and write His purpose on our hearts. 

We all need a little wilderness. Fortunately for me, that does not require roughing it in the wild, although it can for some people. Some find their stillness in a fishing boat or a forest. I find mine with a cup of coffee, the God's Word and a keyboard. 

Today, I am grateful for reminders to "stand still."


No comments:

Post a Comment