Friday, August 18, 2017

Work or Crafting Tool?

Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 229: Today, I am grateful the difference between work and a crafting tool is attitude, use and perspective. 

When you look at this image (found on Pinterest) what do you see? A crafting tool... or a laborious, boring job that has to be done? 

In my house... it is a crafting station with an occasional alternative use as a wrinkle remover. 

Honestly... I hate to iron. Why? Because, it is work so quickly undone. All that work ... and it is swept by the mere act of sitting down or putting a seatbelt in place. Ugh!

This image and verse are a perfect combination. I love the NIV version in the image, but the NLT is great, too:

Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. -Colossians 3:23

Cross referencing always deepens my understanding. I guess one can iron to the glory of the Lord... and mop... and scrub toilets. The attitude of gratitude and joy in service changes everything. 

Even on a Friday, we are to work with all of our hearts. Every day we choose our perspective and engage our attitudes as our superpower. Which side are we on? Are we bringing calm and order or the ones wreaking havoc?  

I looked up wreak, since is not commonly used except in that old idiom of "wreaking havoc". I discovered with wreak, there can be an element of revenge in the purposeful mass chaos and destruction. Thus, comic book and superhero situations provide the perfect platform. Don't most the villains want payback for a perceived injustice? 

Am I, at times, no better than the villains? 

Remember, if life was fair... if God was without mercy and without grace... I would get what I deserve. None of it would qualify me for friendship, adoption and eternity with him. 

His love reached out when we rejected him.
Jesus choose to be one of us... and walked with us.
The cross became the altar where our sin debt was paid.
The work of the cross complete when he said, "It is finished."
The empty tomb was the victory. 
God created the perfect redemption plan for an imperfect people... like me. 

And... I complain about a little ironing? 

Today, I am grateful the difference between work and a crafting tool is attitude, use and perspective. 


No comments:

Post a Comment