Thursday, September 22, 2022

Sally

 

Daily Gratitude Year 10-Day 265: Today, I am grateful for Sally.

Sally's Obituary

Sometimes, there are no words. It has taken me over a week to collect my thoughts . My heart aches and breaks - for Lyn and Sally's precious children... Abrielle (I've always loved the full version of her name)... Landon.... and Haley and their families.

Sally was #10 of 13 children. All had the initials of S.S. We used to make a game out of trying to name them all. No one would have ever imagined she would be the first to make it to "home plate". It still seems impossible at moments.

And for our circle of friends that has remained tight for so many years. Sally came to Clifton Grade School when Chebanse was overcrowded. Who knew we would gain lifetime friends because of it?

Sally and I were dress buddies. Everyone else wore jeans. Sally wore some dresses. I loved it... she hated it. The memory makes me smile. I don't know how many nights our group of friends stayed overnight at Barriballs. I don't know how many games we attended together, football and basketball. I don't know how many classes, conversations, shared meals or celebrations. All I know, is it was almost all of them.

When she married Lyn... it almost as if she married into the family. The Lindgrens and Rosenbooms had always been close. Lyn's sister, Susie, was in our class. I knew that Sally would always be in my life because she married Lyn! Always.

Sally was smart as a whip and curious. She loved learning things. Conversations could last for hours and there would still be more to talk about. My favorite conversations over the years were the ones around faith and family... and sharing music, books and scriptures. She would occasionally send a "this made me think of you" quote or scripture. She was a seeker of truth and knowledge like few I've known.

She introduced me to the Christian Artist, Andrew Peterson. She and Lyn came down so we could attend one of his concerts here in Morton. Worshiping together was even better than hanging out at high school football games. She sent me a CD of his Resurrection Letters and couldn't wait to hear my favorites. She knew me well and guessed them correctly.

Sally was a constant reminder in my life of the joy there is in being known. You can know who someone is... but being "known" is different. The inside and out kind of knowledge that calls you out when you need to be called out. She was there to pick you up when you needed a helping hand.

My verse of the day is perfectly spoken. Sometimes, I know the Holy Spirit sends them my way.

Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God. -Romans 15:7

Accept each other in love. It is how we honor God. She accepted people.

Sally served others. She prayed for others and would share prayer requests. It was an honor to pray for her children, her siblings and the people she loved. She would pray for mine, too.

We don't set heaven's timer. Only God knows the number of our days. We need to treat every day we are granted breath like the gift it is. Unwrap it with hope and eager anticipation.

I won't pretend to understand why we had to say our earthly goodbyes so soon. She leaves an empty place in the circle. But I am so grateful for her life, her love and her testimony. In a the blink of an eye in Heaven's time... we will be there

Today, I am grateful for Sally.




No comments:

Post a Comment