Saturday, September 10, 2022

When Help Comes

 

Daily Gratitude Year 10-Day 253: Today, I am grateful when help comes.

There are so many scriptures where the questions are asked in the Old Testament and the answers are revealed in the New Testament. Some days, I have started making "rabbit trail notes" in my Bible.

My Bible Journaling friend, Patsy, once described it to me like a castle full of secret passages. You enter one scripture and it tunnels through the generations and comes out in the New Testament. I love the image it creates in my head and the adventure in my soul.

One of my favorite examples grew out of a few weeks spent in Job. Depressing, right? Not exactly. Yes, the losses and tragedies in his life are unimaginable, deep and profound. How he didn't give up on God seems almost miraculous. Yet, somehow, in the midst of Job's darkest days, he found an intimacy with God we can only imagine. In our darkest days, His light pours in through our broken places.

Here is what Job prayed:

"If only there were someone to mediate between us, someone to bring us together, someone to remove God’s rod from me, " -Job 9:33-34

Jesus became our advocate before the Father. Our sin; His sacrifice. He purchased our sin debt so we could be redeemed. He removed God's rod from those who accept His gift. Look at John the Beloved's letter in 1 John 2:1-3

"But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world. We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands " - 1 John 2:1-3 

Job's prayer is answered. Many generations later, when the time was right, God answered Job's prayer. Jesus is our mediator. He never abandons us. He defends us with His blood.

"I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." -Psalm 121:1-2

Best help ever!  Here is a glimpse of what is to come:

"After this I saw a vast crowd, too great to count, from every nation and tribe and people and language, standing in front of the throne and before the Lamb. They were clothed in white robes and held palm branches in their hands. And they were shouting with a great roar, “Salvation comes from our God who sits on the throne and from the Lamb!” -Revelation 7:9-10

Our help comes from the Lord, the Maker of Heaven and Earth. We do not need to feel alone or abandoned, even when answers do not seem to be quick, we can trust that He hears our prayer and answers. In His time and to the Glory of God. 

Hold on and stand firm. You are not alone.

Today, I am grateful when help comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment