Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Thanksgiving Day

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 325- Today, I am grateful for Thanksgiving Day.

In the past year I have discovered that our family goes back to the Mayflower on my Grandmother Opal Maxine St. John Bess Watson's side. Edward Fuller is our 11th Great-Grandfather and his son, Samuel, is our 10th Great-Grandfather. Samuel was a boy on the Mayflower. I can only imagine what he saw and endured. So many died on the passage or that first winter. His parents did not survive the first hard winter.

It has been fascinating, humbling, and leaves me with a sense of awe for the courageous people they were to come to this strange new land. I love a good story, and you get to know them as you read about them. I am near completion of the documentation.

One of my favorite discoveries has been the name of one of my 8th Great Grandmother. Her name was Thankful Fuller. She married Jabez Crippen. Jabez and Thankful seem to be named in gratitude. I can only imagine the stories she heard about the early days in the New World. Records show Jabez lived to be 105 years old.

This Thanksgiving, I am grateful for the things that give us roots and wings. I am grateful to get to sit at the table with our children the way they did that first Thanksgiving.

Family and offering thanksgiving. It does not get any better than that!

"Enter his gates with thanksgiving; go into his courts with praise. Give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good. His unfailing love continues forever, and his faithfulness continues to each generation." - Psalm 105:4-5

Today, I am grateful for Thanksgiving Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment