Friday, November 10, 2023

Veterans Day

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 313- Today, I am grateful for Veterans Day.

Dad served in the Army. Uncle Mel served in the Korean War. April in the United States Air Force. My first cousins, James and David, are career Navy today. I am humbled by their courage and grateful for their service. 

I work every day with a Lt. Colonel who is one of the best men I know. Joe has a quote book on his desk that is full of patriotic thoughts and reflections. He is a leader to many and a servant to all. 

For everyone who puts on the uniform, there is excitement and adventure... and a little fear. A little fear is healthy and wise. 

Our town has the name of our hometown heroes in the military on utility polls on the way to our local Wal-Mart. I have long made a habit of praying for them when I drive by their names, especially the ones I know. 

"There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." -John 15:13

To put on the uniform is to accept the risk of coming face to face with tough times, tough assignments, and missed moments at home. Still, they choose to serve. Not because they hate the enemies they may face, but because they want to protect the ones who wait for them back home.

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.” -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Today, I am grateful for Veterans Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment