Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Psalm 34




Daily Gratitude Year 4-Day 90: Today, I am grateful for Psalm 34.

This Psalm is chock-full of goodness...and it won't add one inch to your hips! 

This was the place my Bible opened to this morning.  It contains so many favorite verses that I couldn't choose just one to highlight..so I decided to tell "the story" of the Psalm as it speaks to my heart with my Bible journaling tools.  

It starts with my soul crying out to "magnify the Lord" in the first verses.  Few knew God like David. David chased God with his whole heart and was fearless in light of the knowledge of God's hand on him. Only when his eyes turned to lust and worldly wants did he find himself in deep do-do. This Psalm 34, is David...in my opinion...at his best!  

Why?  Because it shows many parts of God's character and the many levels of relationship he and David shared.  David did not expect a perfect or easy life.  In fact, he anticipated trouble.  He had first hand knowledge of God's personality from the warrior to the gentle father. This Psalm sings of the whole relationship...and the promise of eternity fro those who put their trust in God. 

Let's look closer:
God, you are amazing!  Vs. 3 "Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together!"  

God, I believe in you.  Vs. 4 "I sought the Lord, and he answered me  and delivered me from all my fears."

Tell your story. Vs. 6-7 "This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of he Lord encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them. " We all have stories to tell about His goodness, protection and provision. He protects us...surrounding us with angels...tell how He is mighty to save. 

Celebrate. Vs. 8  "Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!" Not just in the rescues...but in the daily moments of living.  Let all of our senses take him in.  Taste and see the Lord is good. 

Dare to be different. Different is good!  Vs. 13-14  "Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit. Turn away from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it."

You & Me, Lord. It is about relationship. I am yours and you are mine.  Vs. 18 "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit."  You are close and you save. I am never heartbroken and alone. You tenderly rescue my injured spirit and restore my joy. 

Have optimism. You will have troubles but will not be defeated.  Vs: 19-20  "Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.  He keeps all his bones; not one of them is broken."

Just breathe. Vs. 22 "The Lord redeems the life of his servants;" Note the semicolon...not a period.  Pause and think.  The Lord redeems the life of those who are His. He heals all brokenness.  He breathes into us our first breath and celebrates our eternal breath when we choose life in Him. I believe we are souls with temporary bodies...not bodies with temporary souls. 

So much packed in just a short passage. 

Today, I am grateful for Psalm 34.

No comments:

Post a Comment