Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Easter People-Good Friday World



Year 4-Day 83: Today, I am grateful we can be "Easter People" in a "Good Friday World". 

My friend Javier Tamez posted this quote with a "Focus on the Family" link. It is powerful: 

"Praying for the people of Brussels. We are Easter people in a Good Friday world. But love always wins." - Dr. Clayton Oliphint

Read the quote again, if you didn't pause ... and think about it.  It is more than powerful. Compassion. Truth. Victory. All in two short sentences. 

Javier, also, posted a scripture: 
Psalm 34:18 The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.

I smiled because I had texted this scripture to a friend who is deeply touched by this tragedy after living in Brussels with her family for a few years, just returning in September.  They had real people with names, faces and lives to check on. Friends, co-workers and church family living there. They were not untouched. It was up close and personal.  

Another couple from our church had lived there as well, with a few more years in between. They, too, I am sure, awaited word. How grateful I am that we have such "instant messaging" power. 

Still, there are times the news is not what you hope to hear.  Prayers change. Gratitude for all who survived, but asking courage, help, hope and healing in the midst of the hurts and the hurting.  

For their crime will they escape?  In wrath cast down the peoples, O God. You have kept count of my tossings; [or wanderings] put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book? Then my enemies will turn back in the day when I call.  This I know, that[or because] God is for me. -Psalm 56:7-9 

We are Easter People. Believers in a God who cares and loves us...in a Savior who put on human form to be with us... and chose to die in our place to pay our sin debt. Still...He allows us to choose or refuse him. Loving him is not mandatory, but it is life changing.  

Evil is present and active in our world because Satan's day of reckoning had not arrived...but it is coming. I think - sooner than later. Dad's favorite quote - "The wheels of God's justice grind slowly but excessively fine. 

When injustice and tragedy strikes a nation or a people, my heart is always taken to this verse. It is the God desired response to trouble and trials: 

if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14


When tragedy and strife bring us to a pause...it is always time to refocus. What is truly important. What really matters during our time We adjust our vision. Faith becomes more real. Family and friends become more precious.  Each breath is recognized for the gift it is...as it is given. 

As were pray for Brussels specifically and for the global impact of hate and violence...we can pray for brothers and sisters in Christ...known and unknown...as they reach out to the hurting and help them to comfort. Give them the right words and a quiet gentle spirit when there are no words. 

It is Holy Week. We ponder the Palm Trees behind Christ and the Cross before him...but I know that come Sunday, the tomb will be empty. 

I am grateful that whatever the state of the world, whoever gains the presidency...Jesus is King. 

He is close. He is for us.  He will forgive us. He will heal us. He is present. He is alive!

Today, I am grateful we can be "Easter People" in a "Good Friday World". 





No comments:

Post a Comment